The Israel Home Front Command operates a Personal Alert system, which sends emergency warnings to your mobile phone. Read on to learn more.
During Operation Protective Edge, the Home Front Command (פיקוד העורף / Pikud HaOref) began testing using the Personal Alert (מסר אישי / Messer Ishi) system for use with incoming rocket fire in Ashdod. As of Friday, 25 July 2014 at 08:00, the system has been expanded.
Setting Up Alerts
- Is the Service Free? There is no charge for the service.
- Do I Need to Sign Up with the Home Front Command? Nope.
Supported Phones and Cellular Service Providers
- Does the Personal Alert System Work for All Phones?
- It works for many, not all phones. If you purchased your phone through your cellular service provider, they can help you determine whether it can.
- It does not work for the iPhone S4 or earlier models. It does not work for “kosher” phones.
- If you purchased your Android phone abroad or through an independent supplier, you may need to set up your phone to receive Personal Alerts (see below).
- Does the Personal Alert System Work through All Cellular Service Providers?
- Cellcom, Pelephone, and Orange (Partner) support the system. Customers of the virtual operators – including Rami Levy and 012 Mobile – will receive alerts as well, as they are exclusively using the towers of one of the aforementioned companies.
- Golan Telecom and HOT Mobile customers will not receive alerts when connected to their own networks. However, when they roam on other networks (which they do), they will receive the alerts.
- In What Regions Does the Personal Alert System Work for Sirens? The Negev, Beersheva, Yehuda, Ashdod, Beit Shemesh, Jerusalem, Shfela, Dan, Sharon, Emek Hefer, and Shomron regions
- I work in Jerusalem but live in Tel Aviv. For which city will I get alerts? The system will alert you for whichever area you are currently located in – whether you live there, work there, shop there, or just happen to be there.
- I received an alert, but I don’t hear any sirens. Cellular antennas, used to blast out the alerts, are not absolutely precise. There is a chance that you could receive an alert for an area where sirens are not going off.
- I bought my cellphone abroad. How do I receive Personal Alerts on my phone?
- Under Messaging (SMSs), there is an option to turn on the Cell Broadcast / Information Messaging system.
- The Home Front Command has directions for Samsung Galaxy S1, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy Ace, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, HTC One X, LG G2, Motorola Defy, and Sony Xperia.
Know Your Region
- Why did I get a warning for שפלה? I live in Modiin. The Home Front Command will include your siren warning region. It is a good idea to know the name and number associated with your region. (For example, Modiin is שפלה 181.)
Personal Alerts Are Not a Replacement for Sirens
- Is the Personal Alert System a Replacement for Sirens? No. It is supposed to be complementary. If you cannot hear sirens in your area, contact the Home Front Command at 104.